Learn a little more about our past.
We began in 1925
The Chamber's history in Charlotte County dates back more than 95 years. The "grandfather" of today's Charlotte County Chamber of Commerce was the Board of Trade in Punta Gorda, founded in 1925. A few years later, the organization became the Punta Gorda Chamber of Commerce, serving the interests of the city, which was the commercial center of the county.
With the development of Port Charlotte in the 1950s, there were so many inquiries about the new area that a Port Charlotte Chamber of Commerce was formed. It occupied a "tiki hut" style building situated on the property that is now the Promenades Mall. In 1966, the Greater Charlotte County Chamber of Commerce was formed, consolidating both Chambers.
Through its long years of service to Charlotte County the Chamber has worked to preserve the free enterprise system of business and to promote business and community development. It is the leader, not the follower, to assure progressive and orderly growth and to promote the assets of the Charlotte County area.
The Chamber is funded and supported by the investment of its members.
No tax dollars support the Chamber.